Monday, January 29, 2018

Down But Not Out

January 29th, 2018
The Rock Stars I will deeply miss

I’m feeling overwhelmed, drained, frustrated, invigorated, hopeful, and gracious. The Superintendent of education for my province has decided that Peace Corp Volunteers are not fit to teach in the province because we do not hold certificates of teaching from Teaching Universities. The US Ambassador coordinated a meeting between Peace Corps and the Secretary of Education of Mozambique. The Secretary of Education supported the Superintendent’s decision to make autonomous decisions regarding her province – so to an extent the Secretary of Education decided to not micro-manage her provincial Superintendents.

Within the next 6-8 weeks I will be moved from my community, my house, and my loved ones. I do not know where I will be going. I do not know what I will be teaching (probably math or physics still). Until the Ministry of Education of Mozambique has a new set of sites for the 11 US teachers in Cabo Delgado I will be at my current home. I have requested to remain in a part of the country that speaks Makua since I have dedicated so much time to learning the Makua language.
I am angry that someone has decided to judge my teaching abilities without actually watching me teach or talking to anyone who has watched me teach. I feel caught in a political decision that I do not fully understand or agree with. With all of that said, when I joined the Peace Corps I decided to go anywhere and do anything – to be sent and to serve. So, my site shall change. The local language may change too.

It was last Thursday our PC Country Director met with the Secretary of Education – we were positive and hopeful we would be able to stay in Cabo Delgado. At noon, myself and two others received notice that our Country Director wanted to meet with us at 3 PM – we immediately knew this was bad news. We held out trying to keep our hope alive. Going into that meeting, I wanted to throw a fit – I wanted to fight. During that meeting, I remembered why I came here and why I will always continue to fight.

I stand for and with those on the fringes of society. The people who are too tired of fighting alone. For the rights of the children and for the future of us all. I fight for my kids and your kids because it’s the right thing to do. I will not let anyone else dictate my decisions or emotional state. As long as I’m breathing you can bet your ass I’ll be fighting. I’ve been through hard times and hell before – I have no fear of going through flames again. If need be, I will live in the flames. I will stand with those who are casted into the fires – casted to live out their lives alone and without support. Mothers who tend a farm while carrying for a family and nursing a baby. Fathers who try to farm enough peanuts so their children can go to school. Parents who struggle and toil so their children may have a chance at a better life. Children who raise other children. Children who are raised by other children. 

I will head the orders of my PC Supervisors. I will be sent where they decide and I will teach. Where ever I am placed, I will make new friends, find a new group of local kids to play with, and learn whatever local language is spoken there. It will be and currently is excruciatingly painful – but it’s not a difficult decision. It’s who I am. I will find another family to share meals with, teach baking skills, and share my love and my heart. I will weep and have cried for the family and friends I am losing. I will share my passion for learning with my students and forge new relationships. I will engage with my community. I will learn about their needs and stand with them in their struggles as I have been doing for the last 15 months.

I will always stand amongst others who are experiencing pain and struggle. Life is a journey not meant to be travelled alone. I will find those on the fringes of society in my future community and make friends of them once more.

This is who I am. It's what I do.

Logistically, you may be thinking: what’s going to happen to the Peanut Butter project? Simply put, they were making PB before I got here and they’ll continue making PB after Peace Corp leaves – plus my site-mate is a health volunteer and will not be relocated. What’s going to happen to my dope house I’ve invested so much time and energy in? I’ll bring some things with me to my future home, give some away to my site-mate, and leave some things for the government official who will replace me in my house.

I originally wanted to use this post to highlight the stars of my community. Those who have risen above circumstance and have succeeded in the face of pain, suffering, and despite the odds. Due to recent events I will postpone that post for the next month.

In my next post you will meet the mothers who raise families of 5 alone – while holding a full time job and being active in the community. You will meet fathers who have sacrificed their food security so they can send their child to school. You will meet children who raise other children and vice-versa: the children raised by other children. I will do my best to share their stories. These are some of the people whom I call family. I am incredibly disheartened to leave them – and yet I am thankful I will have the next 6-8 weeks to say my goodbyes.

Overall, I’m feeling down but not out. I know why I am here and that is an optimistic power that continues to fuel me through many struggles. I am going to end with something my brother sent me:
“If I woke up tomorrow and didn’t have a dolla, as long as I have my heart, I can get it all back”- Rick Ross


May we fight the good fight, may we stand with those who suffer, and may we always remember that we are not alone.

With all my heart,
Daniel Bladow

No comments:

Post a Comment