Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Building Part 2


22nd of August, 2017
I put the water on my back
 

Building part 2!! Who knows, by the end of my Peace Corps service I may be ready to open a carpentry shop in the states! In this issue of keeping up with Daniel, Im going to briefly give an update, share two stories, and then explain my latest building projects.

This week is the first week of the third trimester. Weve been on break for 5 weeks because of the national census. It can always be an adjustment getting back into the swing of things. Ive prepared my lessons for the next few weeks and so far these two days of teaching have gone surprisingly well (aside from terrible attendance yesterday). Since I had so much downtime at site, I continued making my house my home. In about a week, I leave Namuno for Maputo to help with training. The new group of education volunteers arrive next week and I get to help welcome through and support them through their arrival and first week of training.

Okay, now for two stories. I was in the market yesterday buying some potatoes and onions to go along with our steak dinner (shout out to my parents who bought me some meat while they were here!). I was out of Namuno for a weekend trip so I just returned early yesterday. Whenever I return from a trip, everyone tends to ask, where were you? What were you doing?. Every day when I go to the market I pass a street corner where things are sold in bulk and I always greet the people there specifically this story is about Felisberto, one of the people on that specific corner. Anyway, I was in the market section buying vegies and Felisberto came up to me to greet me. We spoke in Makua a little and then he said something I didnt understand and he held out a 10 met coin. Realizing I didnt understand, Felisberto said, Here take this! Buy something to eat for yourself. Maybe a piece of fruit or some peppers for your dinner. I was left speechless. Another market vendor saw my confusion and repeated what Felisberto just said. Here was a young man offering to give ME MONEY so that I could buy something nice for myself. A young man who is not wealthy. Im not usually lost for words. But every time I think Ive experienced it all, Im wrong. Felisberto wasnt asking for money, he was trying to give me money. I was taken back, my heart melted, and my mind was blank. In a community where I constantly have people asking me for money, this is the first time I have had someone offer to give me money. Eventually, I was able to say Thank you so much Felisberto. But I would prefer it if we could buy some fruit together and share some food. How about later this week we buy some bananas or oranges and share them? Right now I need to go home and cook dinner.

Kindness and generosity can be found in the most unexpecting places. It can come from anyone at anytime. I still struggle with expressing how Felisbertos action makes me feel. It makes me feel like he is a part of my family here. He is a part of my support system here.

Story #2 I was walking home from school greeting people as normal. One of the young children said     A cunha! which means white person/foreigner and I havent been called A cunha in my town in a very very long time. My current reaction is to respond, A Cunha!?! Where!? Where!?! Oh me? No Im Daniel. But this time, the childs mom turns to her and goes, No thats not A Cunha, thats Daniel! Call him Daniel. I feel less and less like a foreigner every day. With each day, I feel more supported and normal in my community. A few less stares, a few less A cunhas, and a lot more compassion.

Hence, on an emotional level I love being at my house and in my community. I belong here. Now to transition to my building projects!! A while back, my roommate and I splurged and split the price of a power drill. Since the last set of building, Ive re-built my bed, built kitchen counters, tons of shelves, a workout gym, clothing rack for my site-mate, and poured a concrete pad (on top of which will be a power rack something to do bench press/squats/deadlifts). In the future, I will be adding a playground type structure outside for the neighborhood kids. I will also be building a picnic bench for the kids and students that come over to learn and play. Hopefully Ill have enough money in my next monthly stipend to finish those two items, if not itll take me two months to finish.

This week Im adding more outlets to our kitchen area (Ill be doing that re-wiring right after I finish this post!) and Ill be building a nicer table/desk for my site-mate. We have an outdoor water spigot that works about once every week or two and broke. The city said they would come this week to fix it. If they dont, I have already bought the parts to fix it myself and will do so if they dont come soon. Fortunately, I have experience with piping from back in the states so itll be a quick and easy fix.

  
Kitchen Upgrade

 
 
 
Two new shelves and a new kitchen table/prep table! Also note the coffee pot If you know me, I think you know how incredibly deeply excited I am for a coffee pot. Its a mess right now, but it is making life so much easier. At the right part of the table are three small black objects on the wall those are the outlets I am currently installing. I just need to finish the wiring and itll be good to go!


Tools, tools, tools!
 
This is our outdoor veranda area. Another shelf and tools that are hanging up on the wall!! They were just on the ground taking up a ton of space. It is quite exciting to realize that we have enough tools to justify having a tool shelf! Little by little my house continues to feel like a place where people would want to live, not have to live.

 
All about dem gains (get big or go home)

 

Ignoring my clothes drying in the background, we have the current workout gym/playground area on the right. Its all rope & lashings but very sturdy! On the left side is the concrete pad a friend and I poured. Itll be the base for another workout gym. Normally in the states, one would buy concrete mix. Here in Mozambique, you can only buy cement mix. The difference? Concrete is made from cement mixed with sand and sometimes gravel/rocks/dirt. For every cup of cement, generally 3 cups of sand are added. I know understand why we have machines to mix concrete. Its exhausting work! It took my friend and I 7 hours to pour this pad 7 hours of nonstop work. Plus, a local army of neighborhood kids to go out and fetch a few hundred pounds of sand

Well those are the recent building projects! Building things by hand is exhausting, time consuming, and quite exciting!

Looking toward the future, after being in my site for 9 months, I finally feel like I know my community and the issues here well enough to start some projects. In my experience, the biggest issues in my town are in this order: nutrition, malaria, HIV-AIDS, education, and young pregnancies. Im looking into the potential of starting some type of nutrition program by using Moringa Trees to supplement ones diet. Its always a struggle to convince people that they should change their lifestyle and always requires proof. I have an outlandish idea to motivate people into growing their own moringa and if I can economically convince them to grow it then maybe I can inadvertently convince them to eat it for themselves too. I dont want to throw all my thoughts here because it is quite outlandish. With 100% certainty I know its possible so if Im able to get my idea out of my head and started, Ill write a blogpost more in-depth about how I understand the issues of my town and how I plan to approach a sustainable solution.    

 

As always, thank you so much for reading to the end of my post and for your constant support.

With all my heart,

Daniel Bladow

 

P.S. Lets follow the simple example of Felisberto - May we be a fountain of compassion and source of acceptance for all of those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment